Early Years Ethos
At Lostwithiel Primary School we believe that children deserve the best possible start to their education.
Our experienced EYFS staff continually review and develop their excellent practice. Children learn through well planned play, confidently developing knowledge and understanding through a balance of child initiated activities and adult-supported activities and access to a NEW stimulating environment.
We provide a safe, happy, caring, secure learning environment that builds upon each individuals needs and interests, where children flourish, feeling confident and are ready to learn.
Our aims for Early Years Education are:
We believe that the Early Years are critical in children’s development and that the EYFS builds a firm basis for future learning, development and independence.
We educate the WHOLE CHILD and embrace a CAN DO ethos.
- To celebrate the ‘unique’ child, providing a safe and supportive environment where all children are celebrated for their special qualities.
- Know and respect our children and their families as individuals, celebrating the richness of diversity and identity.
- To provide an enabling environment whereby the children are able to become independent and creative learners who can challenge and extend their own learning.
- Provide children with first hand learning experiences rooted in purposeful play in which they can become actively engaged, expressing thoughts, ideas and feelings
- To socialise with adults and other children outside their home situation and become aware of their needs and feelings, so as to gain confidence and knowledge of themselves as individuals.
- To encourage new vocabulary and give 'talk' a high priority.
- To develop a physical awareness of their body through sensory motor experience and control.
- To create an education readiness to learn by encouraging - an enquiring mind; - logical reasoning; - freedom of expression; - and an opportunity to learn a wide variety of skills.
- Support the children in making the transition to the next phase of their education with enthusiasm and confidence.
Mrs Kate Webber
Assistant Head and EYFS firstname.lastname@example.org
I have taught at Lostwithiel Primary School for 19 years in EYFS. It is an absolute joy to help and support young learners as they settle and begin their adventure through school. I am passionate about the outdoors and making learning fun!